Monday, October 20, 2008

Wiping Rejection From Your Mind!

As I once told a friend of mine who asked me how I could take being "rejected" by prospects, "I never get rejected. I just discover if a prospect is intelligent!"

Now, I admit, that's a pretty extreme re-frame. But notice the fun state of mind it allows me to have.

My actual attitude in any situation involving a prospect is: "I will either get what I want (which is simply helping them understand what I have to offer so they can determine if it fits into their life) or I will enjoy the process of learning what I need to get what I want".

Now, just imagine holding THAT belief in front of you as you consider approaching a prospect you'd like to have in your business.

It is the MEANING you assign to approaching prospects that matters most.

Here is an example:

I have had SO many people tell me they can't even talk to a prospects. I always ask them the following question...

"Ok. Suppose that amazing prospect you "can't" talk to was standing there and a guy was coming up behind them with a knife raised in the air, about to bring it down and stab them. Then could you talk to them and at least yell, "Hey! Look out!"

Every person I have ever asked that has at least said "yes" and many of them have said they would go on to try to take the knife away from the guy.

I always say, "Congratulations. That's talking to a prospect!"

They always look at me kind of funny and say, "well, that's different. I would be doing something good for them, in that case".

Wow. As if talking to a prospect and giving them the chance to possibly enter your world ISN'T A GOOD THING?

Really the only difference is the meaning YOU assign to it.

Instead of the prospect being the judge of your value what if you just viewed talking to them as a way to enjoy exploring the possibilities of working together on something meaningful and fun.

Doesn't that beat the view of talking to a prospect as a life or death situation?

The bottom line: rejection cannot exist in a properly directed mind. There is only the meaning YOU assign!

The key here is to stay playful, have fun and assign the right meaning, the meaning that serves you, rather than the one that stops you in your tracks.

Have fun and enjoy learning through every experience!

Eric Worre - Network Marketing Professional

No comments: